A GROUND ROUND
Alex Tahou's opens a hot dog stand and names it for his son, Nick Tahou.
White Castle is founded in Wichita, KS
September 13, 1921
Myron Orbaker opens a hamburger stand along route 104 in Williamson.
Vic & Irv's is born when Irving Anuszkiewicz joins his brother Victor who opened a hamburger stand at Seabreeze in 1934.
Bill and Alberta Gray open a small Hot Dog stand on Ridge Rd. in Webster.
Steak n' Shake is established in Normal, IL by Gus Belt
Big Boy is founded as Bob's Pantry in Glendale, CA by Bob Wian
August 6, 1936
Don Barbato with the assistance of his brother-in-law Robert Beri open Don and Bob's at Seabreeze. Bob is not directly involved in the day to day operation of the restaurant, but Don's wife Ann is.
In-N-Out Burger opens its first drive-thru restaurant in Baldwin Park, CA.
October 22, 1948
McDonald's opens its first hamburger restaurant.
December 12, 1948
Don and Bob's opens a Monroe Ave. location, Don's brother Joe, takes over management of the Seabreeze restaurant.
Tom Wahl, Sr. opens his first Tom Wahl's restaurant in Avon NY.
Joe and Ken Schaller open Schaller's Drive-In at 965 Edgemere Dr. in Rochester.
After much growth, Bill Gray's relocates to a larger facility in Henrietta.
Jack in the Box Topsy's Drive-In of San Diego, CA is rebranded as "Jack in the Box".
February 21, 1951
Burger King founded as Insta-Burger King in Florida.
Sonic founded as Top Hat Drive In in Shawnee, OK.
June 18, 1953
Ray Kroc founds McDonald's Systems Inc. and opens its first franchise in Illinois.
April 15, 1955
Burger King introduces the "Whopper".
Bill O'Hara purchases Orbaker's from the Orbaker family.
Partnering with long time friend, Bruce Hegedorn, Bill Gray opens a new restaurant on Route 104 in Ontario and later in the year, opens another on Culver Rd. in Sea Breeze.
Charlie Riedel opens Charlie's restaurant.
Carrol's opens its first New York franchize
The Big Mac is introduced by McDonald's (at 45¢ a piece).
Wendy's founded by Dave Thomas in Columbus, OH
November 15, 1969
Carrol's opens a location in the village at 77 E. Main St.
For health reasons, Don Barbato sells the Monroe Ave. location and returns to Seabreeze, renaming the Seabreeze location Don's Original.
Irving Anuszkiewicz dies of a heart attack while pumping water out of the Vic & Irv's parking lot.
Bill Gray's opens its Hard Rd. location adjacent to Hegedorn's.
McDonald's introduces the Shamrock Shake. Initially it has a lemon-lime flavor, but by 1973 it is reformulated with a mint flavor.
The Egg McMuffin is introduced by McDonald's.
Carrol's begins to convert its restaurants to Burger Kings.
The Happy Meal is introduced by McDonald's.
Don Barbato dies after a long battle with cancer.
The Corning House (66 W. Main St.) is torn down to make way for McDonald's.
March 24, 1983
Webster's first McDonald's opens on site of the former Webster Dairy (190 W. Main St.).
December 2, 1983
Bill Gray's aquires Tom Wahl's restaurants.
Chicken McNuggets are introduced by McDonald's.
Ray Kroc dies.
January 14, 1984
Five Guys opens its first restaurant in Arlington, VA
Long time employee and friend, Terry Klee purchases Don's Original from the Barbato family.
Bill Gray passes away.
July 3, 1994
The Penfield Don's Original opens.
Kevin Klee (brother of Terry Klee), purchases Vic & Irv's from the Anuszkiewicz family.
John and Karen Cipro purchase the Penfield Don's Original and begin converting it to Don's Restaurant and Pub.
Alberta Gray passes away.
February 13, 2008
Richard Guon owner of the Webster McDonald's passes away. His wife, Mary Ellen steps in to run the family franchises.
April 4, 2009
Smash Burger founded in Denver, CO.
Victor Anuszkiewicz dies at the age of 95.
February 16, 2010
McDonald's opens a new restaurant in Webster at 1135 Ridge Rd. which replaces their Main St. village location.
August 15, 2013
Operation Brain Freeze opens a Dairy Queen restaurant in Webster at 919 Hard Rd.
September 12, 2014
Sonic opens its first Rochester location in Irondequoit.
September 20, 2014
Wendy's opens its first restaurant in Webster at 987 Ridge Rd.
August 4, 2015
Vic & Irv's is torn down after closing in 2014.
September 3, 2015
Bill O'Hara, owner of Orbaker's dies.
December 28, 2018
Charlie's celebrates 50 years in business and Charlie Riedel's 91st birthday.
August 20, 2019
The Steak n' Shake on famed Route 66 in Springfield, MO is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Burger King merges with Canadian restaurant chain, Tim Horton's.
Burger King begins selling the Impossible Whopper, a 100% vegetarian burger.
August 8, 2019
Bruce Hegedorn dies at the age of 93.
February 17, 2021
Charlie Riedel dies at the age of 92.
March 14, 2021
Bob and Dawn Heintzelman purchase Orbaker's from the O'Hara family.
WE HAVE RECIPES
ACCURACY VARIES BY LOCATION
Rochester Hot Meat Sauce
- 1/3 cup green peppers, chopped small (bite-size)
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped small (bite-size)
- 1 pound ground beef (hamburger)
- 1 quart warm or room temperature water
- 15 onces tomato sauce or 3 cans tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon chilli power
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (aka red pepper)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
How you'll make it:
- Sautee your vegetables in oil and throw them in a medium to large size pot.
- Using the same pan, brown your hamburger.
- Combine all other ingredients into a sauce-pot and let simmer for 2 hours!
If you have a slow cooker or crock pot:
- Saute veggies in oil and add them to slow cooker
- Brown hamburger in same pan and add to slow cooker
- Combine all other ingredients and throw them in the slow cooker/Crock pot and let simmer for 2 hrs!
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- salt to taste
- ln a large skillet, over medium heat fry onion and garlic in oil until soft. Add meat and spices, periodically stir and break up any clumps of beef with a fork. Cook until the meat is no longer pink.
- Once the meat is cooked though, add beef broth, tomato paste and brown sugar. Simmer 10 minutes. Use a hand immersion blender to further give the meat a finer texture, a couple of quick whirls here and there are all you need.
- Simmer 1 hour, adding more beef broth if necessary to keep it moist, but avoid adding too much and letting the sauce get soupy.
Carrol's Royal Sauce
McDonald's Special Sauce
- 1 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
WHERE TO EAT
WEBSTER MUSEUM AND HISTORICAL SOCIETY
18 Lapham Park Webster, New York 14580 585.265.3308